Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Ham and Cheese Sammich - 3 pts

Once upon a time, about two months ago, a cherished Sunday morning tradition was a breakfast sammich at Dunkin Donuts. Ham, cheese, egg, croissant. Sounds simple enough, right? Yeah, turns out that's 11 points. Even if you opt for the sensible English muffin, it's 7, and don't even get me started on the occasional bacon or sausage patty, nor the several large iced coffees with extra-extra cream and four Splenda I downed a few times a week.

With that in mind, I decided I needed something I could eat on a lazy weekend morning without blowing all my points at IHOP. And this is what I came up with.


Ham Egg & Cheese English Muffin

1 slice honey ham (I used generic, regular, non-light deli ham)
1/4 c egg substitute
1 slice fake cheese of your choosing (I calculated using Kraft Fat Free Singles Cheddar)
1 light whole wheat English muffin (I use Thomas' Light Multigrain)
1 tbsp fake butter (can't beat Smart Beat!)

Cook your ham in a nonstick pan with a little nonstick spray if you're worried about the nonstick surface flaking into your food. This isn't necessary, but it sure does make the ham taste an awful lot like bacon. Next, stick the E-muffin in the toaster. Now nonstick spray a coffee cup, dump in your egg substitute, then microwave on high for 1 minute. Now assemble your sammich and don't forget your fake butter and cheese!

Pair this with an iced coffee with fat free creamer and Splenda and you are hot to trot, my friend. And you skipped out on the annoying line at the drive-through.


3 points per serving: 195 calories, 8g fiber, 1.5g fat

No comments: