Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Spiced Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup - 5.5 pts

My first couple weeks on Weight Watchers were really tough. Before WW, I was that chick who always got alfredo every time it's on the menu, then ate the whole pound of pasta and I can tell you where the best alfredo is in the state, but I'm not going to because that would kind of defeat the purpose of WWFF.

At that point, I thought that I was going to have to shun forever all my favorite meals because I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to substitute, nor what foods were substitute-able. But I found a winner in grilled cheese and tomato soup. Pretty much any tomato soup will do, but if you're making the Campbell's condensed variety, make sure you use water. I prefer the Campbell's Select Tomato Soup, as it isn't as watery as the condensed stuff ends up being, and has fewer calories than preparing the condensed with milk.

I also use Kraft fat free American cheese slices, which are uber processed, taste gross raw, but only .5 points a slice and when melted is surprisingly yummy—no weird aftertaste or anything. I'm still using up my WW whole wheat bread, but if you're sick of whole wheat Allie found a light french bread with only 70 calories for two slices. So go to your grocery store, line up your bread options and use your little slider to find a reasonable compromise.

Spiced Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Using Dano's spice mix!

2 slices bread
2-3 slices fat free American or Cheddar Cheese
2 tbsp Smart Beat Smart Squeeze
salt & pepper
a pinch each: chili powder, cayenne pepper, basil and oregano

1 can tomato soup

Prepare your soup. Squirt some fake butter on there, sprinkle the spices, then use a butter knife to smooth the spices into the "butter." Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray (Smart Beat sticks to pans), lay down a slice of bread, butter side down, then the cheese, then the other slice of bread. This seems really involved, but it's the neatest way to do it and the liquid butter makes the bread super hard to handle. You can put some tomatoes between your cheese slices for free.

Serve with an entire can tomato soup. It's heavenly.


5.5 points per serving, 320 calories, 7g fiber, 1g fat

No comments: